4 days Nyungwe and Kahuzi biega safari
4 days Nyungwe and Kahuzi biega safari is a trip that favors chimpanzee and gorilla lovers who have a short time in the country. Take off 4 days from your schedule to get lost in the breathtaking Nyungwe forest and the Kahuzi Biega national park that has great sights and sounds of a rain forest. Nyungwe forest harbors more primates and attractions that you can choose to visit if you have more time to spare. Kahuzi Biega national park is one of the parks that has the existence of the lowland gorillas and is situated on the southern side of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Trip highlights of 4 days Nyungwe and Kahuzi biega safari
- Road trip from Kigali to Nyungwe forest
- Enroute museum visits
- King’s palace visit
- Chimpanzee trek
- Canopy walk
- Lowland gorilla visit
Day 1: Drive 5 hours from Kigali to Gisakura- Nyungwe forest and afternoon canopy walk
- Road trip with enroute visits: By 7 am, be ready to be met up by your driver-guide to get a briefing on what to expect in the next 4 days. You will drive south of Rwanda with a stopover visit of the Butare Museum and King’s palace visit to see the famous long-horned cow. You will have lunch and drive to connect to the park.
- Afternoon canopy walk: After lunch, you with your driver-guide will connect to the park for the 2 pm canopy walk in Nyungwe forest. The canopy walk in Nyungwe forest is a 200 metre long bridge suspended 9 meters high to give you a view of the forest from above. Enjoy the breathtaking sounds and sights and fresh air of the untouched tropical rain forest from the bird’s view. Drive straight to your hotel in time for dinner at the hotel as the night before. Spend your first night in Nyungwe.
Day 2: Morning chimpanzee trek and drive to Rusizi border
- Chimpanzee trek: You will set out to the Gisakura briefing point as early as 5 am from your hotel in time for briefing of the Chimpanzee trek in Nyungwe forest national park. This is a long and tiring but worthy trek. You will spend about 5 hours in the forest in search for these playful creatures whose sounds you will hear right from the starting point up to when you exit the park. Get back to your hotel for lunch and continue on your drive to cross into the Democratic republic of Congo via the Rusizi border. Drive to your hotel in Bukavu for a night stay and dinner in anticipation of the following day.
Day 3: Lowland gorilla trek
- Lowland gorilla trek: Big day where you wake up to drive to the park in the early morning hours in time for the 7 am brief before the gorilla trek. The Kahuzi biega national park is famous for the existence of the lowland gorillas which you will set out to trek for about 2 hours before you meet the family of gorillas and spend an hour in their presence watching them go about their day. If you are interested you may request in advance to spend more hours with the gorillas at a different fee. This is considered as Gorilla habituation in Kahuzi biega national park. After a fruitful day, drive back to your hotel in Bukavu for a late lunch and spend the evening at leisure relaxing in the lounge of the hotel or at the balcony of your hotel room. Later in the evening, connect for dinner and the second night in Bukavu.
Day 4: Drive back to Kigali via Nyungwe.
- Return drive to Kigali: You will have a tasty breakfast at your hotel and drive back to Kigali. This is a 6 to 7 hour drive from Bukavu to Kigali. You may opt to visit the museums and the King’s palace if you did not have time to visit them on the first day. You will have an enroute lunch and arrive in Kigali in the evening for drop off at the airport or your preferred drop off location as you will advise.
End of 4 days Nyungwe and Kahuzi biega safari
- Full time fueled vehicle
- Full-time English/ French speaking guide
- Accommodation as indicated in the plan
- Chimpanzee trek permit
- Canopy walk permit
- Kings palace visit fee
- Museum visit fee
- Bottled water enroute
- Meals that is breakfast, lunch and dinner
- International flights
- Personal needs like alcoholic beverages, phone calls, tips
- Any optional activities not included in the itinerary